Friday, June 24, 2011

The Breathings of My Heart

William Wordsworth said "Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart."


As a writer, I take those words seriously. It's what I try to do. Whenever I think about a story, plot it out, begin to type. What do I want it to say? And how does that relate to what I think and feel?

When I read a good book, I know immediately. I know how the characters feel. And quite often, if the viewpoint of the character doesn't match that of the author, they feel strongly in some way about a topic that the author feels strongly about. It's impossible to fake. Passion is passion, and too many books fall flat without it. It's a missing feeling, and nothing else can make up for it.

As I travel the road towards publishing, consider my options, look for possible agents and publishers, it's something I remind myself of. I could have the best agent, the most dedicated publisher. I could have the most comprehensive ad campaign imaginable. But if I don't love my writing, if there's no passion running through it and around it, it won't work. There's no substitute.

For me, it takes the pressure off. I need to work my best at my job, creating stories that I think will entertain, and hopefully force one to think. The rest will come, but not without an excellent product. And that can only come from the breathings of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment